Sunday, July 28, 2013

Newell Beach


Newell Beach 12th July - Unknown?

Actually we left Newell Beach 07 September 2013

We set off from Mount Malloy heading towards Port Douglas along the Mossman / Mt Malloy road. I had previously looked at the road conditions the night before. It looked mostly downhill and twisty windy the closer we came to Port Douglas.



What goes up must come down as they say. The bus performed admirably even though we were towing the Terios behind us. The exhaust brake did its job and we arrived safely. We struggled to get into Port Douglas at any of the camp sites and were lucky that we found Newell Beach caravan park (It was also one of the cheapest at $30 per night).


Our first visitor to the camp site, a very large tree frog that made its home in our electrical box
It scared the bejeebers out of me when i lifted the box lid.
















Newell beach which is approximately 20 meters from where we are parked.


We are obviously in crocodile country and it was only last year that a 4 meter croc was relocated off the beach and to somewhere away from people. We will have to be careful as we have a large creek (where crocs have been seen) on both sides of the beach.

This is the creek to the north side of the beach, very much croc habitat and a bit too close for comfort.

That said with the Daintree rainforest as a backdrop to our beach, this really is paradise.

We have friends (Kath and Glenn) arriving into Port Douglas (from our home town of Frankston South) Saturday 13th July and we will be meeting up with them both on Sunday. Cath will be celebrating 50th birthday on Saturday so let the party begin.

Kath and Glenn on our visit to Mossman gorge.

















Pristine clear waters await you at the gorge and are not dissimilar to the river Wharfe at Bolton abbey.
















Deep clear pools are the order of the day if you fancy a dip. The pools are quite safe and croc free !

We took an hour and a half drive from Newell beach to Cape Tribulation through the rain forest and although the forest was spectacular and the drive was great (lots and lots of twisting and winding up and down hill), the final destination was a bit of a let down.  There is nothing at Cape tribulation other than a general store. Ah well an ice-cream a photo or two and we were on our way back.



Now this was some spider, i believe it was a Nephila plumipes or female Golden orb weaver (Family Nephilidae). To give you an idea of her size i put my hand close to her for comparison.
















I'm not really scared of spiders but this thing got me a little nervous, believe me i would have been out of there like a shot had it moved.











The rainforest meets the ocean literally at Cape tribulation and although the weather was not glorious it was worth the visit.











A little wind swept in croc country. Our ambition is now to see a crocodile in the wild (at a distance).


Andrea and Kath decided to go horse riding while me and Glenn doggie sat at the pub, they both said that they enjoyed it immensely. I know myself and Glenn had a great time. You can't beat a few beers with your mate on a hot balmy day.





Ready for the off!
















Andrea showing who's boss, though the horse was reluctant to giddy up I think she looks great.
















Just a walk in the park eh Kath? None so shabby considering you haven't ridden in years.

Now although I will be thrashed within an inch of my life by Andrea, I really couldn't resist this next picture. Kath's face tells it all as she watches Andrea do an impersonation of John Wayne.
















Talk about where's the saloon? Oh thats right me and Glenn are in there.
















Soon back to normal with a smile on her face. No wonder you wouldn't get me on a horse.


Iron bar, Port Douglas. A great meal with great friends. The Iron bar pale ale was a delight. They will both be sadly missed on there return to Victoria. Happy birthday Kath hope you had a wonderful time with us. I know we did with you.

Now if you thought that the Golden Orb spider was impressive? We had another visitor to 2 Tykes who decided that he/she would build a web between my bedroom window and the insect mesh.

And for a better view open the window and poke your camera at the beastie.

All I can say is thank god for the insect mesh. Although generally harmless to humans a Huntsman spider, of the super family Sparassidae (of which there are over a 1000 species) is awesome. I just wouldn't want him/her crawling across my face while sleeping.

The date at the top of the post denotes 12th July -Unknown?

Now most of you know that Andrea and myself have been looking for work while we travel Australia and I have been lucky enough to find employment at Mossman Kitchens and bedroom. Although I didn't particularly want to go back on the tools, thats where I find myself. The work is hard with lots of heavy lifting and believe me I am feeling it. I now constantly smell off deep heat.


Three wardrobes and a kitchen within a week is not so bad for an old fella like me. I will let you all know how we get on. 
It does look like we may stop at Newell beach for a few months and put some more coffers in the piggy bank. So watch this space.

Well Mossman kitchens didn't live up to expectations and after I installed the boss's wardrobes we parted company. I won't go into details as to why as it is unfair to them all I will say Is that I wish them well.

A new neighbour arrived next to us and I was pleasantly surprised to see that his rig was (in my opinion) something rather special. It was a converted Land Rover 101. I have driven many 101's whilst serving in the British army and it was great to see what Gary had done with his conversion.

A 101 in her normal army livery

Gary's achievement. 
I think it was amazing and still so light, the whole rig probably weighed less than two ton!




It took Gary 6 years to complete the transformation, considering the state of his original vehicle (which had been used for spare parts removal) I think it was 6 years well spent. 

We met some great people at Newell beach and had a lot of laughs, the Happy hours were great and we all had a fantastic time.

We also met some very strange creatures whilst we stayed at Newell beach!!


No not me!

The Rhinoceros beetle! They make a strange noise when upset. This bugger growled like mad!

Whilst this bugger nearly stripped all my line off my reel, god i hate Sting Rays!

Now if I was ever thinking of getting hitched again, then this would be the place I would choose (I have to find someone to say yes first)! 

Saint Mary's by the sea, Port Douglas. Built in 1880 this tiny chapel and its location is amazing.



Tar dat da da, Tar dat da da, Tar ra tar dar dar, Dar dar de dar dar.


This is the view of the Coral sea, that newlyweds see through the open window at the altar. 











The reception area is none too shabby either maybe some Caribbean steel drums playing, or maybe a few songs by Iz Kamakawiwo'ole. Yes, if you want to get hitched in paradise this is the place to do it.
















Semi retirement is such a hard life! We had a wonderful time in Far North Queensland and no doubt will return again, for now though we have to head south to cooler weather and hopefully to find some part time work.

Newell beach caravan park
Latitude -16 25 31S   Longitude 145 24 22E
Dump-point - No (there is a dump point 5 klm away)Toilets - Yes Water - Yes Pets - Yes Shower - Yes Length - 11 Mtrs Level - Yes Noise - No Grassed - Yes Cost - $30 per night Time Limit - N/A



No comments:

Post a Comment