Saturday, November 30, 2013

Kandanga

Kandanga rest area 4th - 8th Oct 2013


There is a sign in Kandanga stating ‘Welcome to our little part of paradise’ I was unsure at first but now think that the local council have hit the nail on the head with that statement. What a great little spot Kananga is. Gympie regional council has got this one right! They have gone to great lengths to make travellers feel welcome, they have installed hard standing for vehicles, built toilet facilities, undercover barbeque areas and so on. They have even placed a small shed for free firewood. What a great place.




We were there when the local scarecrow festival was on. Some of the entrants into the competition were fantastic. I particularly like the Beatles playing outside the local pub. It seems that the whole town gets involved in this bit of fun.



 Even Ned Kelly made an appearance!



Even the local op shop had owned a scarecrow!


Now if this was happening in the UK the scarecrow would be a pile of hay and someone would be peddling down the road on a stolen bike!!


This was where we camped for 4 days very peaceful indeed.





I have always been keen on birds since a very early age, I remember owning many books on birds as a youngster and read them all eagerly. I always thought that the Tawny Frogmouth was an amazing creature. I have been lucky enough now to see many of them but none as close as this one. I actually thought it was injured as it let me get closer and closer to it. Thankfully it wasn’t and took to flight when I got too close.




No comments:

Post a Comment